Jobs for the Week - End of May

The end of May should be warm, a time to relax and enjoy the late spring sun, although this year is looking like a repeat of last year, with cool temperatures and plenty of rain. The postman said we now only have two seasons in the Pyrenees, a wet late winter, spring and early summer, followed by a dry late summer, autumn and early winter, and he may well be right.


The back of sowing and planting out has been broken, so this week will focus on repeat sowing - 
Peas - Carouby de Maussane, a mangetout with both a gorgeous flower and flavour. I hope to have some photos later as I've not grown it for many years, and the ever reliable Waverex petit pois.



Lettuces - the bulk of my seed has failed to germinate this year either because of the cold or wet, I'm not sure, but I have a lone packet of Batavia and will pick up some more when we're out and about next.


Beetroot - cylindra. The germination of this has also been pretty patchy this year, but hopefully warmer weather might help.

Turnips - Milan Purple Top. So far we have just been enjoying these as tiny navets sauteed in a little butter and sugar, but once the crops start bulking out it will be turnip and mint curry season!

Basil - Thai basil. While the Genovese and lettuce leaved basil will last a few months once they are big enough to pick, I find the Thai basil much less robust, the plants weakening quickly. Repeat sowing will at least keep a supply of young plants coming through. I like to add it to stir fries by the handful so we'll need plenty.

After a few days of rain I'll be able to get on with weeding the borders, an impossible task on my heavy clay once the sun has been out for more than a few days. As the borders fill with plants we get fewer weeds self-seeding, but despite thinking I'd completely cleared an area of buttercup, bindweed and bramble they still keep popping up.

The grass paths around the potager get cut weekly at the moment - it looks neat, the grass, clover and buttercup is prevented from creeping into the vegetable beds and the slugs appear to prefer snacking on recently cut clippings rather than having to put the effort in and eat a still growing courgette or lettuce. They have however eaten two of my three melon plants, so I might just pot on my two back-up plants and wait for a hot dry spell before putting them out.

June is the quiet period between the gluts of vegetables having to be processed and the frenzy of spring preparations with only two big jobs on the To Do List - harvesting garlic and planting out leeks. Other than that I shall relax and enjoy the fruits of my labour. 

And keep weeding the clients' gardens!


No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introduction to My Garden